B.Optom (UJ), CAS (USA), BSc.Med.Sc (Hons) Epidemiology (Stell), MDP (Stell)
Charl has a special interest in complex contact lens cases, with emphasis on Orthokeratology and the rehabilitation of the irregular cornea.
Charl has a great passion for optometry and loves dealing with challenging visual cases.
- 1996: Baccalaureus Optometriae, University of Johannesburg, Gauteng, SA
- 1998: Management Development Program, Stellenbosch Graduate School of Business, WC, SA
- 2002: Certificate of Advanced Studies in Ocular and Diagnostic Pharmaceutical Application, Graduate Institute of Optometry, Gauteng, SA
- 2003: Punctum plug and foreign body removal, New England College of Optometry, Boston, MA, USA
- 2005: Overnight Orthokeratology, Institute of Eye Research, Atlanta, USA
- 2007: BSc Med Sc Honours (Epidemiology), University of Stellenbosch, WC, SA
- 1996-1997: Optometrist at Andre Van Der Merwe Optometrists, Kimberley, SA.
- 1997-1997: Part-time involved in Red Cross Flying doctors program.
- 1997 – 1999: Optometrist at Karen Foshaugen Optometrists, Table View, SA.
- 1999 – Current: Director of Charl Laas Optometrists, Durbanville, SA.
- 2001 – 2008: Part-time optometric consultant at Red Cross Children’s Hospital, Cape Town, SA.
- 2003 – 2008: Director of the Contact Lens Institute of South Africa involved in postgraduate education in Africa.
- 2005 – 2010: Associate lecturer at the University of the Free State, School of Optometry.
- 2006 – 2007: Regional representative of the South African Optometric Association, Western Cape.
- 2007 – 2008: Director of the South African Optometric Association, SA.
- 2007 – 2013: Director of GOV Lenses. Providing education and support for GOV orthokeratology lenses.
- 2008 – Current: Trustee of Jonga Trust providing eye care services to disadvantaged people in the Western Cape, SA
- 2013 – Current: Director of Innovatus Technology. The company develops EyeSpace and related lens products.
- 2013 – Current: Director of Innovative Contact Lenses SA. Providing education and support for speciality contact lenses and fitting software.
International Lecture Experience
- Overnight Orthokeratology in the rehabilitation of Post-LASIK corneas. Paper presented at the American Orthokeratology Association meeting in April 2007. Houston, Texas, USA.
- Rehabilitating and long-term safety fitting Post-LASIK corneas with Orthokeratology lenses. Paper presented at Orthokeratology Association of Oceania meeting in October 2008. Brisbane, Australia.
- Advance Orthokeratology. Paper presented at the American Orthokeratology Association meeting in April 2011. Chicago, USA.
- Fitting of Irregular and post Lasik corneas with overnight Orthokeratology lenses. Paper presented at the American Orthokeratology Association meeting in April 2011. Orlando USA.
- Long-term stability of fitting post Lasik Corneas with Overnight Orthokeratology lenses. Paper presented at the American Orthokeratology Association meeting in May 2012. Scottsdale, USA.
- Case presentation on Overnight Orthokeratology for Hyperopia and Presbyopia correction – received the 2nd prize for best overall case presentation. Paper presented at the European Orthokeratology Association meeting in June 2012, Madrid, Spain.
- Overnight Orthokeratology for rehabilitating post Lasik corneas. Paper presented at the European Orthokeratology Association meeting in June 2012, Madrid, Spain.
- Fitting High Myopia with Orthokeratology lenses. Paper presented at the Orthokeratology Association of Oceania in July 2012, Brisbane, Australia.
- Case series on the use of multifocal RGP lenses for Myopia control in Aphakic and Pseudo-Aphakic children from Redcross Children’s Hospital. Paper presented at South African Ophthalmology association congress in March 2002, Durban, South Africa.
- A 3Year, Phase 3, Multicenter, Masked, Randomised, Sham-Controlled Trial to Assess the Safety and Efficacy of 700 µg and 350 µg Dexamethasone Posterior Segment Drug Delivery System (DEX PS DDS) Applicator System in the Treatment of Patients with Diabetic Macular Edema
Articles and publications:
- Biofinity silicone hydrogel lens used as a hyper DK Piggyback lens, published in South African Optometry Magazine.
- Manual of fitting Orthokeratology, Co-authored with Chris Eksteen.
- Manual of fitting EyeSpace Scleral lenses.
- Various blog articles
- Father of three busy boys and husband to one very tired wife!